Friday 24 May 2013

Assessing our roles in maintaining family unity Daily Graphic, May 18, 2013 Pg 11

A number of residents in Accra interviewed on the occasion of International Day of the Family, have expressed various views on the impact of the family on their lives and what could be done to promote and maintain family unity and family cohesion.
 While some called for the sustenance of a strong extended family unit, others think the extended family unit has outlived its usefulness and argued for the maintenance of the nuclear family unit.
The event, celebrated on May 15, was proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly in 1993. It is observed to reflect the importance the international community attaches to families and creates awareness of issues relating to families while increasing knowledge of the social, economic and demographic processes affecting families.
More importantly, the day highlights the significance of families as fundamental units of humanity, while providing opportunity for governments, organisations and individuals to encourage knowledge of the challenges, strengths and needs of families.
Mr Samuel Addo Biney, a supplier of safety goods, said extended family was a thing of the past because now everyone thought only about his children, himself and the wife.
Sharing his experience with this reporter, he said his father, who died about 20 years ago, took care of his extended family including nephews and nieces hoping that when he was not there the family would take care of his children.
“But all the family members my father took care of did not care for us. When you go to them they would tell you that now it is myself, children and wife,” he said.
“I feel bitter about the extended family for what they did to me hence I have also decided to do away with the extended family and take good care of my children and wife,” he said.
Mr Biney emphasised that whenever the need arose for him and his wife to offer help to any family member, both of them would do consultations and decide on what to do.
He stated that some family members would prefer to help friends because they were worth helping than family members, adding “that most extended family members prefer to organise elaborate funeral ceremonies for their deceased relatives than to give out money to help them when they are alive and in need”.
However, Ms Judith Donkor says “the extended family unit should never be undermined because when all hope is lost one or two members of the extended family would come to your rescue”.
She said helping a member of the extended family unit tended to have a long-term effect.
Sharing her experience, she said her cousin gave her some money to start a business which was now benefitting her greatly and pointed out that “I would not hesitate to help him or his children”.
She also said her sister who took care of her did so at the expense of her education, adding that “I really appreciate her effort”.
 “Years after, my sister’s daughter (niece) gave birth and I have adopted the child to take care of her. I adopted the child also because of what my sister did for me,”  she explained.
Ms Donkor indicated that nothing should be done to undermine the extended family unit.
“My dad died so early and my mother did not have money for me to continue my education. My uncle who could have helped me to continue my education said I should go and learn hairdressing”.
This is the experience of Ms Rita Donkor, a trader who was forced to sacrifice her school to take care of her siblings because no family member was willing to help  them.
She said as she grew up, her uncle was proud to say that she was his niece. Ms Donkor, however, stressed the need for extended family relationship, adding that one could sometimes easily get assistance from a family member.
“But I would not hesitate to help any family member when the need arises because some of the family members are worth helping and supporting because someday they might return your kind gesture,” she said.
Mrs Victoria Apenteng for her part supported the argument in favour of a strongly extended family unit, saying “undermining of the extended family unit could have negative effects that will undermine unity in the nuclear family unit”.

No comments:

Post a Comment